Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Catch 22


Orientation was fast. A ridiculous amount of information was compacted into one hour or two hour segments with 10 minute breaks in between each segment, twelve hours a day.  My feeling at every blearing of the eyes and nodding of my head was that if they'd just given the material to us and said, "Read this, sign-off on it", then the creeping death of minutes could have been reduced and orientation taken only one day instead of two.  And, they could cut their budget.  But, from the company's perspective it is probably a matter of CYA Policy.  

The DOT physical was a conveyor of men peeing in cups, bending over and reaching to somehow touch their toes, turning and coughing this way and turning and coughing the other way.  All the while each was hoping they were not too anxious as to raise their blood pressure and fail the physical.  The nurses and Dr. were a bland but irritable sort.  I suppose passing cups of pee between men and women can be more than a little coy and uninteresting.

At the hotel men, and a few women, wait and wonder about smoking and hold conversations at liars tables.  Those who are between trainers describe experiences and trainers and everything said is always entirely true and spoken with blood earnest.  Only about half is ever believed and the other half is re-embellished by the hearers, but no one ever says so.  

Those of us who have no idea or category whereby to compare interpret all that is said with minds already adept at reading tea leaves.  We have no idea what to expect on the road.  But, what would you expect? 

I'm reading "Catch 22" and it is ironic and funny.  I am listening to music on iTunes.  I am trying to eat healthy and drink water instead of yellow chemical that tastes sweet and is amazingly addictive.

I have been here three days and already have a new roomate.  The other roomate had to leave unexpectedly but will hopefully be back soon.

In a day or two I expect to receive a call from a Driver/Trainer who will say, "Have your bags packed I'll be there in . . ."  Then, I'll drive and ride.  I hope to do well.  I hope to not grind gears. 

Still, I'm excited.  I have no regrets in choosing this path.  I'm ready for the road.  Is the road ready for me?