Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Reassigned

I've been reassigned a new trainer.  This will be #3 in one week and hopefully I will actually train with this guy. Al (the trainer I tried hard to get) had to sit in Chicago for 27hrs and so they gave a new guy who is sitting 60 miles out waiting to get loaded since yesterday.  He's actually at his load but something is screwy at the place.  Yesterday at 11 a.m. he called and said it would be 5 to 6 hours.  5 to 6 hours later he called back and said it might be another 5 to 6 hours.  I laid down in my incredibly comfortable bed (not) and decided to get a little shut-eye.  8 hours later I awake to the beautiful sunlight and am freaking out a little bit thinking maybe he'd called and I'd missed his call.  So, I call and can tell I've just woke him up.  Poor guy.  I'm getting paid to wait at the hotel.  He's not getting paid to sit for a day and a half.  He said he'd definitely see me later today.  We'll see.  If so, we'll be taking his load to Texas and then pick up for another load to New Mexico.  And, I'll get a lot of driving time going west.

I guess some dudes might be really ticked off and feel yanked around.  Me?  I suppose if I were to get upset it wouldn't change anything except my ability to enjoy the moment.  I can't change much in my circumstance right now except my attitude towards it.  And again, there are some positives.  First and most obvious, I've already stated:  I'm getting paid.  Second, I'm in an air conditioned hotel, have a semi-soft bed, I don't have to worry about anyone elses safety and I am enjoying getting some quiet to read.  Third, I've had the chance of meeting other truckers while at the hotel and terminal.  There is definitely a certain "brotherhood" (and sisterhood) among the guys here since we are all in the same industry and have accepted the trucker lifestyle.  There are plenty of truckers with stories to tell.  Sometimes the BS-oh-meter goes off, but there is still a lot to gain from the stories and friendships.  These are the same dudes and dudettes I'll be driving beside on the road.  Better to make friends now and have some lifelines out there if I need help somewhere down the road.

I hope to be writing from Dallas, TX next time I write.  Cheers!